Azure System Engineer
Apex Systems is currently looking for a junior level Azure System's Engineer. Please read the job description below and send your candidates to Allison at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description Summary
The Systems Engineer works in an in a multi-technology environment and will be responsible for managing our Enterprise Data Warehouse in Azure Synapse as well as providing management, support, maintenance and enhancements for Data Systems On Premise and Azure platforms. An opportunity also exists in the future for Azure DevOps development hands-on.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Azure Synapse (ASA):
• Responsible to increasingly gain knowledge and understanding of Azure Synapse operating principles, capabilities and performance management to then apply that knowledge to the support and oversight of the Data Services Sql Enterprise Data Warehouse. Expectation is to evolve into a SME for all things Synapse. Sql Server experience leverages well into this role.
• Perform tasks to ensure security, performance and maintenance of the EDW are managed to ensure high availability and that our end-user experience when interfacing with the EDW is consistent and performant.
• Ensure appropriate metrics and documented KPI’s are collected and published for senior leadership review as well as for early detection of potential EDW availability and/or performance issues.
• Ensure appropriate monitoring, alerting and escalation processes are in place and in conformance to published NFR’s for the EDW.
• Respond in a timely manner to service outages, access issues and performance degradation events as part of support of the EDW platform in Azure.
• Maintain accurate and relevant documentation in Confluence for EDW operational and maintenance processes.
Data Services Platforms:
• Responsible to gain knowledge of Azure IaaS, PaaS and SaaS components (Function and Logic Apps, Key Vaults, ADLS, Databricks, Elastic Search, ADF, etc.), Azure Monitoring/Alerting concepts, principles and management, and user access and security management in the Azure platform space.
• Perform standard RTE and OnCall support on a rotating basis for Data Services platforms including both On Premise Data Warehouse, Data Lake and Azure Data Backbone platforms ensuring platform availability (performing server restarts and/or service recycling when necessary).
• Support Markel MEFC processing to ensure we meet published SLA’s.
• Manage incidents in a timely and accurate manner ensuring proper actions, communications and resolutions are attained and documented in our KEDB.
• Perform necessary application software upgrades, license management and/or Key/Certificate rotations as required for our Data Warehouse, Data Lake, BI and Azure platforms.
• Work with end users for access requests and/or issues to Data Services platforms.
• Maintain accurate and relevant documentation in Confluence for new support processes, platforms and software applications added to the Data Services environment.
• Create Automated processes where there is need to eliminate manual executions going forward to continue our directional goal of establishing and maintaining well-managed platforms for Data Services.
As a Systems Engineer you should have the following experience and skills…
• 1-3 years of experience working with Relational Database systems (preferably Sql Server 2014 or higher)
• SQL Development and Query Tuning experience
• Solid understanding of platform and application security concepts
• Strong SQL and Powershell (or another scripting language) experience
• Experience performing Windows Server and/or Database administration including incident, application software, security and access control management for those platforms.
• Some exposure to one or more of the following technologies - Azure Cloud (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS), Azure Synapse, Azure Automation, BI applications (i.e. – QlikSense/QlikView, Cognos, PowerBI, etc.)
• ITIL Certification
• Experience operating within an ITIL Framework
• ServiceNow experience
• Problem solver who is delivery and outcome focused
• Proactive and vocal team player, who likes working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and sharing ideas
• Continuous learner seeking out new solutions, technologies, and methodologies to drive improvement and grow one’s skills to keep pace with a fast-changing technology environment
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, other related field or work experience/certification
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at email@example.com or 844-463-6178.