Summary - Safety Manager (Construction) - Onsite 5 days/wk in Florence, SC - Direct hire - W2 Only, no C2C
Our client is seeking a Safety Manager to lead in the oversight and management of our safety program for our heavy highway construction and asphalt manufacturing operation.
This individual will introduce and manage various systems and activities to maintain a successful training program for new employees, regulatory compliance, adherence to policies and procedures, conduct audits and inspections, build/manage safety improvement plans, and monitor metrics reflecting performance. This individual is responsible for continuous safety performance improvement through risk identification, risk mitigation, and process excellence.
Compliance Programs & Policy Management:
- Ensure that all accidents / incidents are investigated in a timely and accurate fashion and are documented properly.
- Prepare and / or provide direction to our divisions on producing effective risk assessments, system safety assessments, and root cause analyses.
- Implement a standardized training program for new hires and teach those responsible for training.
- Resides as the expert in Occupational Health and Safety (OSHA), Department of Transportation (DOT), Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Oversees the successful completion of all internal and external audits and inspections
- Provide analysis of internal safety audits and accident statistical data; track compliance of corrective actions / resolutions.
- Monitor activity to ensure record keeping and reporting requirements are met.
- Ensure all safety and training manuals, programs, policies and procedures are current and are adhered to.
- Represent the company in grievance procedures with safety related issues.
Safety Leadership, Training Programs & Safety Initiatives:
- Oversee safety incentives and ensure programs are managed effectively and consistently.
- Leverage telematics data and insights to analyze causes of accidents or near misses, identify risk trends, and develop plans to mitigate the risk.
- Ensure compliance with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration requirements.
- Provide recommended strategies and solutions for improvements in deficient areas; help with the implementation of strategies / solutions.
- Coordinate with the Executive and Management team, as well as Operations and Maintenance leadership in crafting and executing strategies that build a culture of safety within the Company.
- Organize and foster a positive safety culture that incorporates operations, safety and maintenance departments and emphasizes the team approach and individual responsibility of all employees to achieve common goals.
- Mentor field management personnel to ensure competency in safety management practices, procedures, and protocols; provide training and professional development for leadership teams.
- Maintain awareness of internal and industry-wide safety trends, developments, and best practices.
- Work in coordination with our Risk Management team on risk reporting and requirements for Workers Compensation, General Liability, and Vehicle Auto-Liability in support of loss control.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent knowledge in occupational health, safety, and training is preferred.
- Knowledge of all applicable safety rules, regulations.
- Knowledge of regulations and corporate safety programs and policies.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work with all departments.
- Ability to work independently and objectively.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to effectively delegate tasks and provide appropriate supervision and follow up to department staff.
- Familiar with windows-based computer operating systems and Microsoft Office packages.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong Microsoft applications experience.
- Five years safety management experience is preferred.
- Strong team player.
- In state travel sometimes requiring overnight stays is required. Early morning meetings happen frequently.
- Ability to speak Spanish helpful but not mandatory.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.