Sr. R&D Chemist/ Engineer
Apex Systems is actively seeking a Sr R&D Chemist for a direct hire opportunity with a global manufacturer of fuels and lubricants that reduce emissions, improve fuel economy, extend equipment life.
SUMMARY OF JOB:
The Sr R&D Chemist conducts complex and/or non-standard research, development, and/or performance testing activities to meet stated objectives of the Technology Development team. This role is focused on using theory and mechanism to drive innovation. The Sr R&D Chemist may act as overall or technical project lead and direct the work of other technical team members assigned to the project. High level of communication and presentation skill required. Often the incumbent will be responsible for multiple projects of varying complexity occurring at same time.
- Performs and/or manages formulation, synthesis, and/or testing activities to meet established project objectives. Effective use and leadership of the end client Product Development Process. Designs approach, test plans, and milestones to project completion.
- Evaluates and interprets data, performance, and deliverables. Provides recommendations to R&D and project leaders regarding results, deliverables, progress and challenges. Identifies and eliminates hurdles to successful project completion. Conducts special projects as assigned.
- Participates in technical and/or project reviews and presents findings as appropriates. Engages with assigned teams and cross-functional stakeholders, such as business, process, marketing, etc. Assists in determining future direction.
- Complete complex analytical testing procedures, in-depth analysis and interpretation and provide a detailed and accurate test report to the customer in a timely manner. Evaluate all test/project data to ensure accuracy, completeness and reasonability of conclusions.
- Complete collation of data, final interpretation and written test reports. Consult with the customer as necessary to review and explain results, offer insight and analytical perspective and ensure that project goals are being met.
- Lead or direct special research projects independently. Oversee technical activities and/or supervise technical team members assigned to the project.
- Understand, comply, and promote safe laboratory and work practices, including appropriate safety regulations and procedures.
- Assure that complete documentation is maintained on ISO or Quality System related activities. Participate in Quality System related activities and maintain an up-to-date understanding of the Quality System functions & responsibilities.
- Represent end client in technical conferences, societies and other industry activities. Maintain adequate level of technical expertise and self-development through study, seminars, etc. Stay informed of advanced developments inside and outside of end client.
- Participate in IP activities as required, including competitor reviews, freedom to practice assessments, patent filings, invention disclosures, etc
- Bachelors or Advanced degree in Chemistry, Physics, or Mechanical / Chemical Engineering
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of applicable chemistry and/or engineering principles and application in a research and development environment typically acquired after More than 5 years of relevant experience
- Ph.D. degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering
- Expertise in micelles/colloids, soft matter, surfactants, interfacial performance, non-covalent interactions, emulsions, foam, particle characterization, or similar areas
- Strong utilization of theory and mechanism to drive inquiry and find applicable solutions
- Ability to build structure activity relations in highly complex systems
For end client employees, an appropriate combination of experiences that will support the required skill base may replace one or more of the specific experience requirements above.
- Decision Making - Decision making in a timely manner based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; sometimes with incomplete information, under tight deadlines and pressure; while based upon appropriate risk and authority
- Business Insight - The understanding of the basis for our business model and how that is realized in the market. The understanding of how business and operations are intimately linked. The ability to use information, practices & trends, affecting the business to engage and drive new strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
- Analysis and Problem Solving - Solves difficult problems with effective solutions; asks good questions and questions all likely sources for answers; can solve complex problems and recognize complex patterns; utilizing all appropriate tools to reach a robust answer.
- Communication - The ability to communicate information clearly and effectively in an engaging and convincing manner.
- Coaching - The ability to provide the structure, environment and support for teaching, training and development of individuals and teams to enable them to achieve specific personal or professional results or goals.
- Managing Performance - Possessing the drive and focus to achieve challenging goals.
- Collaboration and Networking - The ability to work in and across end client's organizational matrix to achieve business objectives, via engaging interactions and influencing without authority.
- Project Management - The ability to manage tasks and activities and achieve their completion within the agreed framework, across regional and organizational boundaries
- Innovation - The openness to new ideas and the ability to generate breakthrough solutions. Can develop, seek out, critically assess and implement new and value adding concepts.
- Dealing with Uncertainty - Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air; doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
- Demonstrates acceptable statistical applications to assigned area
- Consistent demonstration of safe lab practices and procedures
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.