Apex Systems is seeking a qualified and highly motivated individual for the role of Lab Manager in the Lima OH area. This role is a direct hire position and a great opportunity to work with an industry leader in the corn ethanol and animal feed industry. Relocation candidates are invited to apply.
The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of ethanol/animal feed production lab experience, an in-depth understanding of production lab equipment (such as HPLC, Gas Chromatography, Ice Chromatography, Lab Centrifuges, etc.).
About Our Client:
Touted as the best and most user-friendly corn-processing plant in the area, Guardian Lima is responsible for the production of ethanol and animal feed.
This position is responsible for managing the quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) program for the ethanol plant to ensure maximum production quantity and quality, while supporting policies, goals and objectives of the company.
Manage plant QA/QC program.
- Initiate and implement plant QA/QC program based on best practice in the ethanol industry.
- Monitor use and inventories of laboratory chemicals and supplies. Initiate re-ordering when necessary.
- Maintain and calibrate laboratory equipment.
- Prepare reports, analyze data and make recommendations for improving operation or solving process related problems.
- Sample various points in the process and conducts QA/QC tests as required.
Order Process Chemicals as needed.
- Monitor the usage of chemicals used in fermentation to ensure an adequate supply.
- Negotiate prices and terms to maximize earnings.
Supervise Laboratory Tech and Utility Operators.
- Ensure that technicians are adequately trained, equipped and motivated, so that QA/QC program can be accomplished in a safe, timely and cost-effective manner.
- Assist with hiring of laboratory personnel.
- Assist Plant Manager with conducting employee performance reviews based on job descriptions to determine competency, knowledge and contribution of the process operators.
- Maintain and update operating and training manuals for the QA laboratory. Ensure that technicians are trained on the most updated version of the operating procedures.
Monitor plant QA/QC parameters.
- Review the operation of the plant constantly to monitor production and quality, to anticipate problems and solve in a timely manner, and to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Initiate and carry out projects that improve efficiency, production, and/or reduce operating costs.
- Maintain adequate records on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, of key QA/QC variables.
Maintain safety, health and environmental policies and procedures.
- Ensure county, state, and federal regulations relating to the QA laboratory are met at all times.
- Direct, maintain, and enforce the safety program for the QA laboratory; review safety records to uphold standards of maximum safety for all laboratory technicians.
- Ensure effective participation by the process operators in the implementation of QA/QC policies and procedures.
- Maintain environmental control program including testing and reporting as required by regulatory agencies.
Position Requirements & Experience:
- 5+ years experience in a QA laboratory in a dry-mill ethanol plant or related industry preferred.
- Experience with implementing effective QA/QC programs.
- In-depth knowledge of mashing, fermentation, and distillation as they relate to the ethanol production process.
- Experience with environmental testing and reporting.
- Knowledge of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
- In-depth understanding of HPLC, Gas Chromatography, Ice Chromatography, Lab Centrifuges, etc.
- Strong social skills, leadership abilities, and mentorship/training background.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.