Apex Systems has an exciting, remote opportunity for a Network Engineer with our client, The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania! The selected candidate will be responsible for providing technical recommendations on network design builds, supporting network needs and projects, and integrating local and wide area network infrastructure and will have input into the edge networking architecture deployed throughout the Enterprise. The selected candidate must be able to communicate well with technical and non-technical teams and needs to be an eager individual with experience in a large environment.
CCNA and CCNP certificates or higher are preferred, but candidates with demonstrable levels of commensurate hands-on experience will be considered.
Please reach out to [email protected] for immediate consideration!
Location: Remote, but must reside within the State of Pennsylvania
Length: Multi-Year Contract
This position is with the Edge Networking Solutions team within the Network, Unified Telecommunications, and Security Operations (NUTSO) division under the Pennsylvania Office of Administration (OA). The purpose of this position is to provide multiple tier network support to highly complex edge networks for all agencies within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The Edge Networking Group is comprised of three teams: Edge Networking Operations, Control, and Solutions. Each team has different objectives and responsibilities. The Edge Networking Solutions team’s primary focus includes, but is not limited to, proactive and ongoing evaluation of the existing network and its needs, proactive hardware refresh cycle management and planning, architecting network solutions and establishing pilot initiatives, establish and maintain the catalogue of device offerings (based on needs), interact with agency and delivery center operations, and act as networking SME for operational network needs.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Participate in and initiatives to supply network services to provide maximum network and telecommunication availability, reliability, and flexibility.
- Organize and assist with IOS and firmware upgrades for all edge networking devices and assets.
- Assist in the development of network infrastructure solutions to enhance all Commonwealth business units based on their needs.
- Design and assist orchestrating pilots for edge networking upgrades and infrastructure changes/ needs in cooperation with the Edge Networking Control team.
- Lead and participate in the design, pilot, and implementation of Enterprise edge networking infrastructure related projects. This includes both participation with other teams as well as leading, coordinating, and directing various project teams; suggesting/ designing alternative solutions; creating and evaluating proposals; and actively directing and participating in the deployment of technologies that support the Commonwealth’s initiatives and evolving business needs.
- Manage assigned Enterprise Edge Networking infrastructure related projects. This includes participating in, coordinating, and directing various project teams; designing alternatives; evaluating proposals; recommending and presenting solutions to management and agency operations; and managing the deployment of technologies that support the Commonwealth’s initiatives and evolving business needs.
- Participate in and ensure the full and ongoing documentation of all edge networks, including the ongoing full inventory of assets and logical/ operational network diagrams.
- Assist other networking teams in the review of plans, designs, and implementations of complex networks to enable the integration of network operating systems, platforms, and protocols to enhance network performance and security.
- Assist in the review of vendor bulletins and other critical announcements and provide remediation recommendations as needed.
- Proactively assist in driving edge networking refresh cycles and subsequent deployment schedules in cooperation with other network teams.
- Support the Control and Solutions teams’ efforts for pilot execution, review, and product evaluation.
- Evaluates current and future network needs and prepares technical solutions and recommendations.
- Participate in the review of network cabling and infrastructure documents to ensure that networking requirements are met, and specifications meet all appropriate Commonwealth and industry technical standards.
- Participate in the development and execution of testing processes to validate ongoing compliance with policies and industry standards.
- Maintain and manage relationships with agency and delivery center operational contacts, business partners, service providers, infrastructure suppliers, and network carriers.
- Supports the planning and design of LAN/WAN network architecture including:
- Network bandwidth analysis and capacity planning.
- Detailed specifications and schematic engineering drawings for network enhancements and modifications.
- Performs network management functions utilizing various industry tools to monitor, test, verify, troubleshoot, and resolve complex network problems by working with users, service providers, business partners, and others to resolve problems.
- Maintain expert knowledge, lead, and provide direct hands-on support, configuration, and design of Commonwealth network resources.
- Provide second and third tier support for all network teams, network users, and remote IT staff regarding the access and use of established network resources as needed.
- Research and maintain an ongoing understanding of emerging and current network hardware, WAN/LAN/WLAN networking options, network carrier options, intelligent transportation, video, security, voice, and wireless trends.
- Support the edge networking’s network health tools and interface with Enterprise service owners.
- Ensure service orders are submitted and delivered as needed.
- Coordinates change management efforts with the Edge Networking Operations and Control teams.
- Ensures that assigned edge networking trouble tickets or incidents follow established processes and are fully documented within ServiceNow.
- Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with other employees, vendors, and business partners.
- Maintains a working knowledge of network monitoring tools and automation.
- Performs other duties as required.
Equipment in use in Job Performance: Personal Computers, servers, network components, telephones, calculator, copy machines, printers, faxes, cell phones and common writing devices. Must be able to lift 50 pounds. Must be able to work from a step ladder.
Telework is an option for this position, as is working from a structured office setting at the nearest approved Commonwealth-owned facility. Occasional attendance at various meetings, conferences, and training sessions, as well as overnight travel, is required. *** Only candidates currently residing within Pennsylvania will be considered for this position. ***
Appropriately manages time and engages other edge networking teams as needed or required. Overall performance of the network team and availability/performance of the network and customer satisfaction are factors used to determine level of success.
- Obtain and maintain CJIS clearances
- Operate telephones/cell phones
- Operate a PC and peripherals/ servers and network components
- Operate motor vehicles and maintain a valid PA driver’s license
- Excellent oral and written communications skills using the English language
- Read and comprehend technical literature
- Lift equipment up to 40 pounds
- Ability to assess issues/problems and make appropriate decisions for resolution
- Stay current with new and emerging network-related trends and technologies
- Provide outstanding customer service
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.