The database environment includes:
• Multiple SQL Server instances
• Multiple Collection Environments (Development, Quality Assurance/Testing, Pre-Release, and Production)
• Numerous SQL Reporting Services Servers
• 35+ collection databases
• 100+ analysis databases
This position is the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the SLDS data warehouse and requires considerable independent judgment directing and coordinating the appropriate data administration and management methods, practices, procedures and tools, to complete the required assignments. Expertise is required in Microsoft SQL Server database support, and professional knowledge on CEDS standard.
This position is heavily involved with strategic and tactical information design, the analysis of business areas, security, and data modeling to meet data collection needs and the transition of ETL process from on premise to cloud servers. Responsibility includes the identification, analysis, categorizing, synthesis, design, and productive use of business information. In addition, this position is responsible for enforcing/ensuring that the architectural frameworks are properly implemented and enforced, monitoring and upgrading the server infrastructure that supports the database environment.
Description of work:
1. Responsible for data analysis and database management. Involved in maintenance, enhancement, designing of data dictionaries, physical and logical database models, and performance tuning. Knowledge of the utilities and production tools used for data storage management to support the Application Team. Coordinates physical changes to computer databases; codes, tests, and implements physical database, applying knowledge of database management system.
2. Establishes physical database parameters. Uses structured query language (SQL) to define database objects using database definition language (DDL) and control access to database objects using data control language (DCL). Tests and corrects errors and refines changes to database.
3. Enters SQL to create production database. Uses database utility programs and 3rd party utilities to monitor database performance, such as distribution of records and amount of available memory. Directs programmers and analysts to make changes to database management system. Reviews and corrects programs. Answers user questions. Confers with coworkers to determine the impact of data base changes on other systems.
4. Evaluates users requests for new data elements and systems, incorporates them into the existing shared data environment, and provides technical assistance. Coordinates the use of data to ensure data integrity and control redundancy, loads databases, and reorganizes as needed. Performs data modeling and prototyping. Performs logical and physical data modeling, designs relational database models, and creates physical data models from logical data models. Performs security recovery procedures.
5. Executes the procedures necessary to save, retrieve, and recover databases from hardware and software failures within established procedures. Assists with determining, implementing, and enhancing standards on database security and with monitoring agency disaster recovery procedures and systems.
6. Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of computer programming and systems design; of computer operations, systems, and procedures; of project control and cost estimating techniques; of computer programming languages; of data processing flowcharting techniques; of database structures and theories; and of current database technologies.
- Years of experience: 12 or more years of experience in the field is required.
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- Azure Database Services
- SQL Data Modeling
- ETL Experience
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.