Facilities Operations & Maintenance Technician
Apex Systems is seeking a Facilities Operations & Maintenance Technician to join a major biotechnology and pharmaceutical company.
Locations available: Santa Clara, CA 95050 or Pleasanton, CA 94588
This is a contract role with the possibility to extend or convert to direct hire.
This is a hands-on position responsible for facility operations and maintenance activities within the Pleasanton campus. Duties include performing maintenance (hands-on), managing service providers, assessing the status of facilities and subsystems, and supporting projects. The position will report to the Facilities O&M Manager.
Operations and maintenance activities include the management, installation, removal, repair and alteration of:
- electrical (power infrastructure (12v to 480v), emergency generators, motors, breakers, lighting, controls, thermography, solar PV, UPS)
- mechanical (HVACR systems and equipment, BAS, steam and hot water boilers, plumbing, and controlled temperature units (CTUs), RODI, Autoclaves, Gases, and other utility systems and site infrastructure systems.
Other responsibilities include:
- Work with the various Building Automation Systems (ALC, Siemens, JCI, and Distech) and Environmental Monitoring Systems (Rees) to control facility systems and equipment.
- Utilize SAP Plant Maintenance for documentation of general equipment information, and preventative and corrective maintenance activities.
- Develop, monitor, and control annual budgets for assigned maintenance and repair services. This includes budgets associated with internally performed maintenance and external service providers.
- Proactively identify potential projects before they become reactionary in addition to ways of reducing costs.
- Ensure compliance with GMP, GLP, GDP, SOPs, and safety standards and practices.
- Collaborate with other internal departments/customers and coordinate activities to meet objectives and timelines.
- Provide technical support on new and existing equipment, and facility related projects. This may include assistance in design review, construction participation, start-up and commissioning.
- Manage the execution of small capital and repair projects (typically under $250k), as needed. This may include equipment selection, startup and commissioning support, and final as-built drawings.
- Must be able to work all shifts and provide after-hours support on a voluntary basis.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
- AA technical (electrical/mechanical) degree or licensed/certified electrician, or equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with maintenance and repair of electrical systems and equipment
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with maintenance and repair of mechanical systems and equipment
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with controls systems (building management etc).
- Demonstrated experience with supplier and contractor supervision
- Experience working in a regulated environment or high tech manufacturing industries
- Applicable working experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, etc) and/or Google Workspace (Sheets, Docs, etc)
- 8+ years of hands-on experience in the maintenance and repair of electrical systems and controls, along
- with less experience in mechanical and plumbing systems
- Experience working in a regulated R&D laboratory environment
- Direct supervisor experience
- Experience with SAP
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.