Senior Vulnerability Remediation Engineer
Senior Vulnerability Remediation Engineer
Client Industry: Healthcare IT
Work Location: Remote | Proposed candidates must live in BC, preferably Greater Vancouver
Terms: 4 Month Contract (extensions available)
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: March 31st, 2024
Hours: Full Time (37.5 Hours / Week)
The Vulnerability Remediation Engineer is a highly technical team member working within PHSA’s operational teams. The engineer would be responsible for executing complex patch deployments (OS layer and application layer), registry changes, removal of unnecessary/unauthorized application software, and various remediation activities across servers and applications owned by different teams within our organization. This role demands in-depth technical expertise and meticulous attention to detail to maintain a secure and compliant environment.
- Patch Testing and Deployment: Working in coordination with the Vulnerability Management team and asset owners, the Vulnerability Remediation Engineer will execute complex patch deployments across servers and applications, including identifying and addressing compatibility issues, custom configurations, and dependencies. The engineer would conduct rigorous pre-deployment testing to verify the compatibility of patches and changes with existing systems and applications.
- Registry Changes: Implement advanced registry changes as part of remediation efforts, including the modification of keys and values, scripting, and group policy adjustments, while adhering to best practices and documented procedures.
- Application Software Removal: Perform software uninstallation activities, including the removal of legacy or vulnerable applications, ensuring minimal impact on operations and documenting uninstallation procedures.
- Compensating controls: Work with Information Security to design compensating controls for devices that cannot be patched. Work with cross functional team to support implementation of compensating controls.
- Scripting and Automation: Develop and maintain scripts and automation tools to streamline patch deployment and remediation processes. Continuously seek opportunities for process improvement and automation.
- Collaboration: Collaborate closely with IT teams and departmental stakeholders to schedule and coordinate patch deployments and remediation activities, providing technical expertise and guidance. The Vulnerability Remediation Engineer shall also work closely with PHSA Information Security’s Vulnerability Management Coordinators to understand missing patches across the systems, group patches and validate the remediation of vulnerabilities. After-hours work when it comes to patching critical systems.
- Documentation: Maintain meticulous records of all technical actions taken during patch deployments and remediation activities, including scripts, configurations, and testing results.
- Escalation: Work with the Vulnerability Remediation Coordinator to develop and implement an escalation process for technical issues that cannot be resolved within established timeframes. Ensure timely escalation of critical matters to minimize security risks.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Information Security, or related field (preferred).
- 10+ years of hands-on technical experience as a Patch Engineer, Windows Server Administrator, or in a similar role, with a strong focus on patch management and remediation.
- Proficiency in scripting languages (e.g., PowerShell, Python) for automation and custom remediation solutions.
- Deep understanding of patch management tools, server and application configurations, and troubleshooting complex technical issues.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment.
- SCCM, Application patching tools
- Citrix, SQL Servers, Oracle DB, .NET and Java dependencies
- Windows registry, GPO policies
- RedHat Satellite, Ansible, Bash
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.