Technical Development Manager
Apex Systems has an immediate opening for a Sr. Technical Development Manager at a large manufacturing client in Charlotte. This position will report to the VP
This position requires managing the R&D Technical Support and Analytical staff activities. It is key to the long-term strategic positioning to achieve the company’s innovation objectives. The incumbent should have demonstrated outstanding technical excellence and be recognized both nationally and internationally for his contributions. Responsibilities will include extensive interaction with internal Marketing, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Engineering, Environmental and Sales customers, as well as external customers to provide both technical and analytical support as well as identifying new raw materials for cost savings and quality improvements. This position also will require comprehensive knowledge of the Gypsum and Paper Industries and Process Capabilities within the company. In addition, this candidate must have a proven track record, and insight, into what attributes are required to improve existing processes, raw materials and systems, that will result in increased market share and profitability for the company. This position will report to the Vice President, Research & Development.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (not all inclusive):
- Assign and coordinate all technical support activities
- Have a detailed knowledge of all competitive wallboard and paper products, including their performance attributes, and have a clear understanding of end user preferences
- Coordinate all interactions between R&D and other departments within the company to provide both the technical and analytical support required for the Company to meet it’s long term objectives.
- Maintain a high level of awareness of the and gypsum wallboard manufacturing process capabilities to identify opportunities for process improvements and cost savings
- Coordinate all analytical and environmental support functions
- Responsible for ensuring all test equipment is properly calibrated; certification documentation maintained; tests conducted properly; and all test data accurately collected and reported
- Maintain a high awareness of new product development process techniques to continually improve on product development cycle time. This would include attending technical seminars and reviewing technical literature
- Responsible for reviewing all specifications pertaining to gypsum and paper products
- In collaboration with the Regional Manufacturing Managers identify technical support opportunities to improve plant performance and evaluate new raw materials which may potentially enhance existing products, improve working characteristics or reduce cost
- Analyze and evaluate the scope and objective of inventive ideas
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in an engineering, technical or science discipline with an advanced degree highly preferred
- Minimum of 10 years managerial experience in a technical environment, preferable technical support in the building materials industry
- Minimum of 15 years of industry experience with a minimum of 10 years in an R&D environment, preferably in the building materials industry
- Exceptionally strong verbal and written communication skills, strong presentation skills critical. Must be knowledgeable in computer skills (i.e. Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of statistical process control and experimental design techniques
- Exceptionally strong leadership skills with demonstrated ability to motivate staff
- Willingness to travel as much as 40% of the time
- Ability to consistently work in a spirit of teamwork and cooperation with all internal as well as external constituents. Ability to interact comfortably with Senior customers and vendors is critical
- Proven analytical skills
- Ability to plan, organize, execute and direct with a strong bias for action all assigned technical responsibilities
40% travel required.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.