Senior Linux Systems Engineer
Strategy & Planning
- Perform analysis of the organizations business needs, translate a line of business requirements into use cases, design and implement services for automating system delivery.
- Analyze new emerging technologies in the Configuration Management space and translate the functionality of the new technology into an effective IT vision and strategy
- Develop, deploy, and maintain Linux delivery catalog.
- Participate in the development of standards and decisions regarding changes to systems/applications. Provide technical leadership and vision.
- Identify open-source tools, languages, and technologies for accelerating system delivery by leveraging automation and infrastructure orchestration techniques.
- Define methods and practices for executing change management policies in medium-scale server environments.
- Develop practices and processes for applying security controls into the continuous integration lifecycle.
- Implement service-level standards and practices for Linux deployments.
- Collaborate with other technologists across the enterprise to assess current capabilities and bridge the gaps with legacy and future systems.
- Keep up-to-date on business trends and the latest technology innovations to forecast solutions, and anticipate emerging business changes
Acquisition & Deployment
- Engage in the planning, design, development, and effectuation of improvements with a focus on simplification and optimization of processes.
- Participate in and support capacity planning and the development of long-term strategic goals for Linux systems and software in conjunction with application developers.
- Meet with clients, peers, and decision-makers to define business requirements and system goals, and identify and resolve business systems issues.
- Advanced server scripting abilities using Bash Shell, Perl, and/or Python.
- Participate in standard configuration, management, and maintenance tasks for related file systems, input/output systems, networking, clustering, storage, and applications.
- Implement, perform and test application high availability solutions to meet required levels of application availability.
- Implement, perform and test application disaster recovery solutions to meet required levels of application recoverability.
- Work with the team to anticipate, mitigate, identify, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware and software problems on all Linux systems.
- Collaborate and support application development teams throughout project lifecycles.
- Administer/support the policies, procedures, and technologies (including firewalls) to ensure Linux system security through secure system access, monitoring, control, and routine security evaluations.
- Implement effective system monitoring.
- Design, gain approval for, and execute modifications to Linux systems in order to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance.
- Ensure secure user access and role validation processes.
- Create required reports in response to business user needs.
- Develop, document, and maintain Linux system training materials and systems documentation for educating end users and new IT staff.
- Mentor and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team.
- Participate in capacity planning and performance management activities.
- Perform Linux server/database transaction and security audits leading to the identification and mitigation of security threats to enterprise data. Recommend and implement changes where necessary.
- Attend, and periodically lead meetings with the team.
- Assist with Change Management preparations and implementations, providing technical subject matter expertise.
- Provide periodic 24-7 on-call support of specific functions.
- Some travel may be required
- Assist with other projects as may be required to contribute to the efficiency and effectiveness of the work.
- Working outside the standard office 7.5 hours workday may be required; on-call availability.
- Participate in hiring activities and fulfilling affirmative action obligations and ensuring compliance with the equal employment opportunity policy.
Formal Education & Certification
- Bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in a Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Technology field of study (e.g., Information Technology, Electronics, and Instrumentation Engineering, Computer Systems Management, Mathematics) or equivalent experience.
Knowledge & Experience
- 5+ years of IT experience
- 5+ years of experience designing and deploying Linux-based virtualization systems (VMWare, OVM, XEN, or other experience preferred).
- Experience deploying applications, databases, and virtualization services.
- Experience performing Linux security vulnerability detection and remediation (Qualys preferred).
- Understanding of automation and deployment tools (Puppet, Chef, Ruby, Jenkins, GIT, Python, Shell scripting, or similar).
- Understanding of DNS, TCP/IP, load balancing, and network concepts.
- Experience applying practices to storage administration.
- Experience implementing ITIL-based service catalog for Linux platforms.
- Experience implementing Linux server hardening and security practices. Experience implementing PCI and HIPPA compliance standards preferred.
- Software development experience.
- Understanding of container technology.
- Working knowledge of database technologies (Oracle clustering and ASM, MongoDB, Mysql, and/or DB2).
- Systems Administration experience.
- Strong and comprehensive verbal and written communication.
- Responsive and alert to new learning opportunities, growth, and development of technical, interpersonal, and business skills; able to recognize and address areas needing improvement.
- Organized and able to prioritize tasks, responding effectively to competing needs.
- Motivated and competent to contribute appropriate time and effort to work needing attention.
- Attentive to detail with a focus on accurate and timely results.
- Attentive and reactive to customer needs and concerns.
- Strong commitment to inclusion and diversity.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Able to contribute to team effort and individual achievement.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status now or in the future.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.