Pavement Materials Engineer
Pavement Materials Engineer
The Pavement Materials Engineer is responsible for product development of innovative specialty products used for patching, repairing, or preserving both asphalt and concrete pavements. The Pavement Materials Engineer is responsible for implementation of products and product designs at multiple plant locations as well as to provide technical support for manufacturing, sales, and customers.
The Pavement Materials Engineer will have responsibility for product development of products relating to our current or possible future patching and pavement maintenance customers as well as possible customers in related industries. This will include contact with customers and distributors in conjunction with the sales staff. The Pavement Materials Engineer must have extensive understanding of applicable specifications, raw materials, raw material performance, and experimental methods and have sufficient communications skills.
This position will be working Monday – Friday during daytime business hours onsite at our Phoenix facility. There will be some regular travel requirements within the US.
- Review and report the status of projects related to the development of products to the Materials Technical Director.
- Planning, conducting, and reporting of assigned product development projects to upper management and sales on a periodic basis.
- Technical support to the Sales function for products in the patching and mix design areas
- Technical support for industry and industry organizations related to the pavement maintenance industry.
- Spec raw materials and formulations for products developed.
- Assist in the establishment of QC procedures for products developed.
- Assist in the transfer of technology to the production facilities.
- Identify possible improvements in performance, consistency and cost of assigned products.
- Coordinate approvals with customers and agencies.
- Establish a working relationship with suppliers regarding raw materials for products.
- Hiring and training of technical staff for needs in the assigned areas.
- Assist with giving presentations to company and customers as required.
- Travel on a periodic basis when needed to plants, customer locations and agencies.
- Encourage good working and safety practices and maintain all lab equipment in a clean manner and in good repair.
- Encourage good employee relations both within the department and between other departments.
- Attend a minimum of one technical seminar/trade show per year to further job knowledge and broaden experience.
- Assist sales and marketing with developing product literature.
- Keep aware of changes in the industry which may influence company directions.
Qualifications and Experience:
This position requires a minimum of a BS degree in Engineering, Chemistry, or a related science field and at least 3 years working with asphalt-based products. Experience with pavement patching products, aggregates, and related materials is preferred.
Measures of Effectiveness:
- Completion of projects on a timely basis and to the quality standards expected.
- Completion of assigned goals
- Consistency and efficiency of formulations.
- Efficiency of communication with the sales staff and operations staff.
- Quality and completeness of data and reports.
- Absenteeism and tardiness record.
- Cleanliness, orderliness, and organization or equipment and work area.
- Adherence to company work, discipline and safety requirements.
- Cooperation with other departments within the company.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.