Operations Tech III
Job Title: Operations Technician III
Client: Lumen Technologies
Location: San Antonio, TX
Duration: Direct Hire
Shifts: Varies (day shift and night shift) M-F 8 hour days
Pay Rate: 125K
Work Status: W2 only; Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States
MUST HAVE ACTIVE TS/SCI CLEARANCE
Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
The Operations Technician III – Federal has an in-depth technical knowledge of network operations to perform circuit and equipment/network restoration. The technician proactively monitors, responds to and resolves network issues and alarms. In the process of network restoration notifies management and program office with risk potential and an impact assessment.
- Perform circuit and equipment/network restoration, recognize potential jeopardy conditions.
- Management of circuits (T1 - 100Gb, Ethernet & IP), perform testing and activation of new network circuits as well as long-haul, metro and international optical networks.
- Work very closely with Federal government network operation centers (NOC) customers for all demand and scheduled maintenance to conform to customer network management requirements and protocols.
- Analyze network troubles, assess performance data and develop design optimization plans accordingly
- Interface with fiber vendors, telecom providers and other entities on complex technical matters.
- Participate as a Lead/SME to select customers to participate in regular customer meetings, procedural reviews, audits, and other functions
- Review and interpret electric data processing (EDP) and as-built engineering documentation
- Coordinate and track return material authorization (RMA) requests, including vendor interface to obtain RMA authorization requests and completion of RMA submittal forms
- Analyze, test and repair Layer 2/3 network problems. Ensure services conform to customer mandated SLAs for latency, packet loss, jitter, throughput. Ability to test using standard protocols, as well as Iperf and Brix platforms
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience with SONET based, long-haul and metro transport networks, next-generation DWDM wavelength systems, SDH networks with SNCP rings, DCCS cross-connect systems and/or Ethernet, VPLS, IP, MPLS
- Ability to relate technical issues to management and Government personnel, interfacing in a professional manner with management and customers.
- Flexibility with regard to work levels and shift accommodation is imperative
- Associate degree in Engineering, Electronics, Software, or Networks; or a related technical or vocational education or equivalent experience. Seven or more years applicable work experience Preferred Cisco CCIP, CCDP, CCNP certifications, Juniper or ALU data networking equivalent
- Strong working knowledge and experience on DWDM Layer 1, Metro Ethernet and IP communications (IPv4, IPv6, routing protocols)
- Technical knowledge and experience on contemporary technologies (e.g. MPLS, TDM, Ethernet, eLAN-eLine, TCP/IP, BGP, QoS, IP, etc)
- Previous experience with broadband and/or narrowband circuit maintenance, testing and restoration, provisioning databases and circuit activations
- Previous experience with routers, IP protocols, configurations, interfaces is strongly preferred
- Prior experience with Transport platforms (i.e. Nortel, Cisco, Ciena, Lucent and Tellabs) and Data platforms (Cisco, Juniper, Adtran)
- Previous experience with Govt networks and customers.
- Demonstrated leadership profile to manage customer networks, proactively track and escalate issues, engage resources to expedite service/network outages, professional interaction skills with customers and management
- Must be able to effectively manage multiple issues simultaneously through effective work prioritization.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions and logical thinking when under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to train, coach and develop technical skill set of shift technicians
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.