Job Description:*****If interested send your most updated resume to [email protected]*****
The general duties of the Senior Chemist/Microbiologist include but are not limited to using technologically advanced laboratory instrumentation and procedures to analyze chemical and microbiological contaminants in various environmental samples; overseeing the work of technical staff in specific areas; providing technical support to laboratory administrators and the Quality Assurance/Quality Control Section; and cross training Laboratory personnel within their designated field of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The Senior Chemist/Microbiologist serves as a senior technical reference for the Laboratory Division in the research and development of new processes, establishing and maintaining analytical quality control, and other work involving theoretical or practical application of chemistry and related sciences. Work is regularly performed under general direction with considerable latitude for independent judgment and decision-making.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
The following statements describe the general nature and level of the work performed in an Environmental Laboratory. They should not be considered an exhaustive list of all duties.
- Serves as a subject matter expert for other employees in the Laboratory;
- Provides cross training and guidance on advanced technologies, instrumentation, and procedures to laboratory personnel to ensure continuous quality data;
- Monitors, reviews, evaluates, and validates data to detect or assess problems and to determine compliance with acceptable standards;
- Uses advanced instrumentation and technologies such as gas chromatographs, mass spectrometers, spectrophotometers, auto-analyzers, microscopes, ion-chromatographs, or other advanced technical equipment to analyze samples for chemical, physical, metals, and microbiological constituents;
- Performs a variety of complex analyses, reviews data produced, insures all QC requirements are met, and uploads data to Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS);
- Assists the Laboratory in complying with Federal and State regulations under the Safe Drinking Water and Clean Water Acts that may affect the Commission’s water and wastewater treatment facilities;
- Prepares and maintains monthly reports to certify that data satisfies EPA and the Maryland Department of the Environment requirements for environmental test procedures;
- Researches new technological advancements for laboratory use. Based on results of research, determines appropriate instruments, methods, procedures, and quality control guidelines to be used in the analysis of samples;
- Uploads and monitors data in (LIMS) or other databases.
- Successfully analyzes quarterly and annual Proficiency Testing samples for assigned analyses;
- Updates all laboratory required QA/QC and safety records at pre-scheduled intervals;
- Maintains and updates all laboratory peer-review forms and documentation;
- Conducts, organizes, and manages special projects; including documenting progress, monitoring workflows and milestones, data validations, and final reports;
- Oversees work performed by Chemist/Microbiologists and Laboratory Analysts;
- Assists Chemist/Microbiologists, Laboratory Analyst I and II when workloads demand;
- Prepares and maintains Standard Operating Procedure (SOPs).
- Participates in interviewing and selection of laboratory staff;
- Investigates customer concerns and questions, formulates responses as required;
- Conducts visitor tours of laboratory facilities and capabilities;
- Provides technical advice/assistance to the Laboratory Operations Section Manager/Laboratory Division Manager as necessary;
- Fills in for Laboratory Operations Section Manager/Laboratory Division Manager as needed;
- Prepares data packages for clients when required;
- Participates in Stand-by and Call Back Program;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of theories and practices in the fields of chemistry, microbiology, or biology that are applied in analytical procedures in an environmental laboratory;
- Thorough knowledge and ability to work with advanced laboratory instrumentation.
- Knowledge of Environmental Standard Operating Procedures, Quality Assurance Manuals, Quality Control Protocols, Good Laboratory Practices (GLP), EPA Approved Methods, Federal and State Regulations, and all other applicable regulations and guidelines;
- Knowledge of Material Data Sheets, Laboratory Safety Procedures, and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE);
- Knowledge of proper sample collection per State and Federal guidelines;
- Knowledge of drinking water and/or wastewater treatment processes;
- Skill in the use of various laboratory instrument softwares and LIMS;
- Skill in the operation of advanced analytical instruments including performing routine maintenance and making minor repairs;
- Skill in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, and approaches to problems;
- Skill in conducting tests and inspections of processes to evaluate quality of performance and accuracy of results;
- Ability to prepare comprehensive analytical reports and to interpret test results;
- Ability to expand knowledge-base to gain efficiency in new procedures;
- Ability to accurately perform chemical, bacteriological, or biological tests with acceptable required quality control;
- Ability to effectively prioritize work and manage time in order to meet tight deadlines and constant rush orders;
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing;
- Ability to interact with internal and external customers in an effective and professional manner;
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, microbiology, or environmental science;
- 6 years laboratory experience that includes:
- 3 years conducting complex analysis of chemical and/or microbiological contaminants in various environmental samples using technologically advanced laboratory instrumentation;
- 2 years overseeing the work of subordinate laboratory analysts.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle drivers license with no more than 4 points against current license and the ability to obtain a WSSC drivers permit;
- Possession of the MDE Certification for Water Samplers or obtain within 6 months of employment;
- Obtain MDE approval for one drinking water method (inorganic, organic, or microbiology) within 6 months of employment;
- Must maintain valid driver’s license, Water Sampler Certification, and MDE method approval for duration of time in position;
- Able to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.