Apex Systems, America’s second largest technical staffing firm, has an opening for a
with a growing client in the Virginia area. This is a fast-paced environment offering professional growth and long term stability.
Title: AutoCAD Designer
Location: Roanoke, VA- hybrid 3 days onsite, 2 days remote
Duration: long term contract with potential to hire
Member of the Protection & Control Engineering team. Responsible for applying standards to design Protection and Control equipment for capital improvements to electrical substations. Develop P&C deliverables including One-Lines, Automatic Reclosing Operation Diagrams, control building layouts, Carrier Current Diagrams, Panel & Enclosure Front Views, Schematics, Bus Wiring/Three-Line Diagrams and Wiring Diagrams. Interpret Manufactures prints and shop record drawings to design appropriate interfaces between new equipment and legacy equipment. Peer review the work of other designers to ensure conformity to accepted standards and methods. Collaborate with Station Engineering Designers to develop the interfaces between substation equipment (transformers, circuit breakers, circuit switchers, potential devices, current transformers, motor operated switches, etc.) and Protection and Control equipment (relaying, control panels, Remote Terminal Units, current and potential circuits, etc.). Update drawings with field marked revisions made during construction. Prepare and check bills of material when required. Specify and write purchase requisitions when required.
1. Create, revise and maintain engineering and record drawings, and sketches.
2. Support the creation, revision, and maintenance of facilities and equipment documents; including but not limited to construction, equipment, property documents and records.
3. Obtain information required to perform work from verbal communication, sketches, marked drawings, listings, field notes, vendors catalogs and technical reference manuals and site visits.
4. Perform mathematical calculations required to accomplish assigned work.
5. Proficiency in the use of computer aided design software.
6. Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software.
7. Work with other organizations of the Company to coordinate the work and assure that it is performed in a safe and efficient manner.
8. Read vendors prints, shop and other drawings and equipment operating instructions, and incorporate that information into the work being performed.
9. Promote and support the Companys Accident Prevention and Safety and Health programs.
10. Assist in training employees in basic skills of the position.
11. Assume other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Designer: Associate degree in applied science (AAS) drafting and computer aided design (CAD) or in civil, electrical or mechanical engineering technology, with one to two years of relevant equivalent experience. Equivalent experience without AAS degree - high school graduate and 6 years of experience in electric utility and/or related industrial drafting and/or computer aided drafting work.
Must be familiar with conventional drafting symbols and drafting methods and have the ability to distinguish colors. Additional Information: Must be able to operate a motor vehicle and possess and maintain a valid state drivers license. Must meet all vehicle operation requirements as designated by federal and/or state law. This position may require shift work or overtime. Occasional overnight travel to and work within a substation or power plant environment in obedience to all safety regulations, including the use of personal protection equipment.
Experience with MicroStation, electric utility, or an electrical background preferred.
Schedule - 8 hours per day 5 days per week or 10 hours per day 4 days a week.
In office - Monday & Tuesday.
**OT rare but as needed**
To apply please email your resume to [email protected]
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.