EHS Specialist (Biotech)
EHS Specialist (Biotech)
Apex Systems is a large staffing and consulting firm and we are looking for a EHS Specialist with a background with 3+ years of Environmental Health & Safety, writing/reviewing Safety SOPs, and conducting training experience to place at our Biopharma client.
Client: Innovative Biotech Start-up
Contract/Perm & duration: 12 month contract (possibility for extension)
***Contract will be mostly onsite***
Location: Downtown Toronto
Our client is seeking an EHS Specialist to provide support in the day-to-day technical and administrative operations of the EHS Team, as well as support the company in cultivating a positive safety culture across all sites. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Environmental Health and Safety, the successful candidate will be responsible for including but not limited to program and guideline development, completion of risk assessments, lab inspections and gap analysis, provide administrative support for safety committees, coordinate EHS training, tracking expenditures against operations budgets, and assisting with all other EHS administration and documentation as required to ensure regulatory compliance across all sites.
This is an outstanding opportunity to contribute to bringing a new class of cell-based medicines safely to patients. Collaboration with a highly motivated, world-class team of scientists, engineers and biotech professionals promises an exciting and engaging work environment for a motivated, self-starting candidate.
- Work with various business units to develop a strong safety culture across the sites through the communication and implementation of various EHS initiatives.
- Hands on development and implementation of EHS programs and guidelines to support our clients EHS Management System
- Complete and maintain documentation as it pertains to all aspects of the EHS management systems and associated programs
- Maintenance of all EHS permits, compliance trackers and dashboards
- Conduct risk assessments and gap analysis in accordance with Canadian and US regulatory requirements
- Ensures safety measures in the laboratory and manufacturing areas are being followed during site inspections and takes initiative to update safety SOPs, training material and documentation
- Supporting our clients safety committees with meeting agenda and minutes, inspection schedules and documentation, dashboards and ensuring safety boards are updated as required
- Coordinate EHS training and maintenance of records to meet Canadian and US regulatory requirements.
- Tracking expenditures against the EHS cost centre as it pertains to prescription safety glasses, training, and any other initiatives as required.
- Provide support to Lab Operations as required.
- Post secondary education – diploma or degree in biology, chemistry, or engineering. Bachelor’s degree in safety is strongly preferred
- A minimum of 3+ years safety experience or relevant field.
- Strong knowledge of Canadian environmental, health and safety legislation. Knowledge of US environmental, health and safety legislation is an asset.
- Experience with the development and implementation of EHS programs is preferred. Experience with writing and reviewing SOPs is an asset.
- Competency in computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) required.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to work with a variety of software platforms.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; must be able to manage time and priorities efficiently.
- Must have the ability to maintain a constructive working relationship with all staff, vendors, and co-workers.
- Must be highly organized with a proven ability to be productive in a fast-paced work environment with excellent attention to detail.
- Must be a self-starter demonstrating initiative, a positive attitude and change agent mindset, and the ability to work in an independent and organized manner.
- Ability to, on occasion, lift up to 20kg and/or work with a partner to lift anything heavier.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.