Job Description:Apex has exciting Direct Hire opportunities for Lab Managers at a global food safety and quality partner who offers testing, labeling, auditing, consulting, sensory, training and research services to the food & nutrition industry. These positions are located in Northern California. The ideal candidates will have 2-5 years of supervisory or management experience and strong leadership skills with a desire to be a true agent of change.
The incumbent is responsible for managing a department and providing leadership to departmental supervisors in the activities of their subordinates in compliance with Standard Operating Procedures in the execution of testing client samples.
- Develop and maintain systems that ensure proper methodologies are being utilized in conformance to client requirements.
- Administer corporate human resource programs relating to employee recruitment and retention, compensation, training and development, equal employment opportunity, performance appraisal, and employment record documentation.
- Take responsibility for the analysis and interpretation of data and provide guidance in the correction of discrepancies before results are released or issued to client service personnel and/or client as needed. Ensure data is established in compliance with proper methods.
- Ensure that corrective actions are appropriate for ensuring error elimination and that documentation is completed and follow-up performed as indicated in Standard Operating Procedures.
- Support company initiatives as they relate to systems within the laboratory and work directly with other department leaders to implement methods as needed and ensure a complete understanding so that training can be performed to others effectively.
- Communicate any emerging client requirements to departmental personnel as needed.
- Work directly with internal and external auditors to provide appropriate information that will ensure quality systems are utilized in the execution of testing procedures.
- Develop and maintain expertise in the field of food science and related technologies through available library resources and peer expertise.
- Maintain knowledge of Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and other systems that are required to complete job responsibilities
- Support corporate quality and continuous improvement process.
- This position has the responsibility and authority to initiate action to prevent or minimize departures from the quality system or test procedures.
- This authority includes addressing resource needs to properly address issues such as client turn-around time requirements, overtime limits, employee turnover, work stoppage and assure the appropriate type and amount of materials are ready and available for use.
- Perform other related duties as needed.
At any time, the incumbent must behave and operate in an ethical and Code of Conduct compliant manner.
Frequent contact with client service personnel is necessary to provide results, answer questions, check on the progress of special projects and obtain any information needed for the analytical procedure to proceed. Occasional contact with the client is necessary to obtain or provide information, explain procedures, and discuss specific requirements for testing analysis. Regular contact with vendor representatives is required to order necessary materials and ask questions about new products. Occasional contact with the corporate office is needed to answer inquiries about administrative and Standard Operating Procedures. Regular contact with management personnel at other locations is necessary to provide analytical information.
2-5 of relevant work experience with Bachelors degree or equivalent work experience; or Masters degree. A thorough knowledge of microbiology, chemistry, food science or extraneous matter is necessary to supervise the activities of departmental personnel and interpret results. A broad knowledge of food science is necessary to obtain accurate analysis results. General knowledge of the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) is needed to review analysis results and correct any discrepancies. Client relation skills are necessary to answer client questions and advise of certain processes. Proficiency in standard operating methods, gained as a microbiologist, chemist, or food scientist, and supervisor, is needed to supervise the activities of the laboratory. Budgeting skills are necessary to determine laboratory budget and to ensure financial efficiency. Organizational skills are essential to maintain smooth operations. Planning skills are helpful to arrange work assignments for departmental personnel. Supervisory skills are necessary to ensure proper and efficient daily operation of assigned tasks.
The incumbent ensures that the analysis is performed within the specified time limit and results are accurate. The incumbent uses technical expertise to determine solutions to problems that occur in the laboratory. Difficulties can result from a client request of a different procedure than is normally performed by the laboratory. The incumbent uses reference journals and professional contacts to locate the needed methodology of the requested test. Problems can result when tasks are not completed within the specified time constraint or when information or materials to solve the problem is not available. Timely resolutions of analysis problems are important to improve client relations. Company operating procedures and testing methods can provide data for analysis difficulties. The incumbent must verify that all procedures have taken place correctly and new procedures are researched to obtain the most effective testing process
The incumbent makes decisions using independent judgment regarding the future action of the laboratory. Accurate data may not be immediately available so alternate sources may be required. Written company procedures and policies, standard practice manuals, and state and federal regulations provide guidance when solving analytical problems. The incumbent determines the schedule of laboratory personnel and the priority of current analyses according to the analysis requests. The incumbent arranges tasks for the department and plans future actions that will improve the efficiency and quality of operations. Changes in a decision are discussed with laboratory management before implementation. Decisions impact the laboratory personnel and
client through improvements in analysis process and financially through decreased spending.
The incumbent receives general guidance. Long term objectives are established and agreed upon with the supervisor in accordance with corporate goals and objectives. Intermediate sequences are determined by the incumbent with approval from laboratory management. Results are reviewed regularly by laboratory management and status reports are provided to management as requested. The incumbent is responsible for the direction of activities in the laboratory, including quality control and analysis of client samples. The incumbent is accountable for the analysis and interpretation of data. The actions of the incumbent have a moderate impact on the company, and a significant impact on the department.
The incumbent supervises the activities of all departmental personnel. Responsibilities include all aspects of operational management; such as hiring, developing, providing feedback and evaluating the performance of direct reports. The incumbent coordinates the activities of the laboratory with those of other departments. Internal coordination within the laboratory involving tasks of client service personnel and administration are also needed.
The incumbent works in a laboratory setting with lighting and temperature control. Working in the laboratory is necessary when evaluating the tasks of the subordinates and explaining new techniques. Occasionally, fumes require the incumbent to wear safety equipment that includes a mask or working under a ventilation hood. The incumbent can expect extended time spent in a standing position. The incumbent should be able to detect slight variation in shades of colors. Client visits may require protective clothing and equipment according to the facility environment. Overnight travel is less than two nights a month to attend meetings and professional seminars.
Please send resumes to [email protected] for Immediate Consideration!
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.