Senior Environmental Chemist
Apex Systems is seeking a Chemist III (Sr. Environmental Chemist) in support of the City of Baltimore.
Location: Ashburton OR Montebello Filtration Facilities
Duration: 6 month contract to hire
Schedule: 8 AM to 5 PM
Compensation: $35 - $37/hour, dependent on experience, certifications, education, etc.
What you’ll do:
- Performs basic to complex wet chemistry, organics, and metals analysis on samples from the raw water reservoirs, drinking water distribution system and water filtration plant, for both routine tests and special studies, according to approved Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and the laboratory’s quality management system, as directed by the Laboratory Technical Supervisor. Complex analyses require using specialized equipment such as Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer, Gas Chromatography and Mass Spectroscopy and/or Ion Coupled Plasma Mass Spectroscopy. May also assist with microbiology analyses. This function includes sample handling and maintenance of chain-of-custody.
- Records test results per the SOPs and quality management system. Enters and maintains test result data and quality control data in the laboratory information system (LIMS) to produce reports for the Laboratory Technical Supervisor’s review. Is responsible for batching or ensuring that daily work orders are available in LIMs. Completes Individual Demonstration of Competency, proficiency testing, method detection limit procedures and other quality management system tests, as directed by the Laboratory Technical Supervisor. Reports any non-conformance, per the quality management system, and participates in corrective action investigations, as directed by the Laboratory Technical Supervisor.
- Reviews work of subordinate chemists. Trains subordinate chemists and microbiologist in the routine analysis of drinking water and subordinate chemist in the routine use of analytical instruments including its calibration, maintenance, safety protocols and record keeping. Completes training logs for each analyst and reports findings to superiors. Complete equipment calibration according to the quality management system and manufacturer’s direction. Record all calibration and equipment quality assurance measurements, per the test SOP and quality management system. Notify the Laboratory Technical Supervisor immediately if any equipment deficiencies are encountered.
- Leads developments of Standard Operating Procedures for the work unit, as directed by the Laboratory Technical Supervisor or Section Chief. Allows shadowing by other DPW staff of lab activities for the purposes of education and evaluation.
- Maintains work area in a clean and safe manner, according the Laboratory Chemical Hygiene Plan. Restocks material and inventory as needed.
- Performs related work as required, including performing public relations tours, educational liaison or special projects as directed by the Laboratory Supervisor. Assist in the daily activities of chemical and microbiological analyses of raw and treated water for both laboratories in the event of an emergency and/or severe staffing shortages.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry
- Strong mathematical skills
- Experience with GC, GC Mass Spec, And ICP
- Experience with EPA methods – 200.7,200.8,525,533
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.