If interested please send your most updated resume and your best time for a 5 minute phone call to Edison at [email protected]
Job Title: Research Scientist I (Proteins/Antibodies Group)
Location: 100% onsite in Gaithersburg, Maryland Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:00pm
Contract Type: Direct Hire
Max Salary Pay Rate: $100,000
- We are looking for a Research Scientist I for our leading life sciences client.
- This Scientist position within the protein group is responsible for bringing a creative edge to the group in terms of new method development and contributing to the development of new IP.
- The candidate will also be responsible for various processes such as design, engineering, protein expression, and purification of integral membrane proteins using the in-house fermentation set-up and contribute to the development of Bioprocessing activities within the team.
- The candidate will collaboratively work with the Principal Scientist and other team members within the R&D team and will be responsible for aiding the implementation of R&D project plans and meeting milestones on key deliverables.
- Prepare new SOPs or use established SOPs to independently carry out membrane protein expression and purification for downstream biochemical and biophysical analysis.
- Use molecular biology/cloning techniques to design protein constructs which result in efficient purification schemes of membrane proteins.
- Use molecular modelling techniques to examine protein structures to design / engineer point mutations to increase stability or yield of integral membrane proteins.
- Prepare necessary raw materials in laboratory processes e.g., buffers, solvents, media, etc.
- Perform pilot/microscale experiments to find conditions to improve protein expression, stability, and yield with downstream processes in mind.
- Perform robust data analysis of data from lab experiments and being responsible for documentation and reporting of technical progress and results in the form of detailed reports.
- Use advanced data science-based analysis tools to parse and interpret large data sets.
- Be accountable for project deliverables and communicate status and other related information to management and project team members.
- Be focused on details and efficiency in the laboratory as well as having an interdisciplinary approach to the tasks at hand while exercising good laboratory practice.
- Collaboratively work with team members within the Protein group and from other groups within the R&D division to provide research plans, perform and analyze additional experiments and present the results to the department and / or the R&D team.
- Participate in the general upkeep and maintenance of the laboratory facilities and equipment according to OSHA standards.
- Provide support to Sr. Scientist in structural biology efforts to decipher protein structure in High resolution and in developing and implementing new strategies involving novel nano bioconjugates.
- Perform periodic literature searches to be aware of new cutting-edge technology within the field of interest to the group.
- Propose, plan, conduct and present new research by collecting and analyzing new scientific data while simultaneously coordinating research projects across teams.
- Review trends in synthetic biology and participate in company IP process.
- Contribute to advancing company “know-how.”
- Manage research activities of junior research associates and lab technicians as necessary.
- BS/MS (graduate degree preferred) degree in Life Sciences, e.g., Biochemistry, Biophysics, or Molecular Biophysics
- Minimum of 4-5 years of experience working in an industrial bio-technology research laboratory (preferred) or academia on integral membrane protein expression and purification for downstream activities.
- Knowledge and experience with integral membrane protein expression systems and aseptic techniques.
- Experience with a wide range of analytical tools and techniques for use in laboratory, incl. FPLC, HPLC, Stopped-Flow, DLS, microscopy, NMR, TEM, etc.
- Experience with large scale bacterial fermentation is required.
- Knowledge of fitting software and other advanced software packages such as Origin, MATLAB etc.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, work short cycle times and flexible hours if required, and deliver results under pressure.
- Good communication and team working skills.
- Ability to work independently and proactively in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Self-motivated and be able to handle multiple challenging targets with flexibility in adjusting priorities for project support.
- Familiarity with protein structural biology.
- Experience with Bioinformatics based multiple sequence alignment and protein molecular modelling (homology modelling) tools such as ROBETTA, AlphaFold (DeepMind), MODELLER, UCSF Chimera, PyMOL, Schrodinger, etc.
- Familiarity with Molecular dynamics simulations using an array of forcefields.
- A natural curiosity and interest in new technology and ground-breaking scientific developments
- U.S work permit.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with protein structure determination using X-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy or single particle Cryo-EM would be a plus.
- Familiarity with the use of Artificial intelligence and Machine learning / Deep learning based algorithms to create mathematical models and simulations using high performance computing would be a plus.
- Familiarity with Linux OS and computer programming languages for data mining (such as R or python) would be a plus.
- Good general IT skills, incl. knowledge of MS Office / SharePoint and other standard software packages.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at [email protected] or 844-463-6178.
Apex Systems is a world-class IT services company that serves thousands of clients across the globe. When you join Apex, you become part of a team that values innovation, collaboration, and continuous learning. We offer quality career resources, training, certifications, development opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package. Our commitment to excellence is reflected in many awards, including ClearlyRated's Best of Staffing® in Talent Satisfaction in the United States and Great Place to Work® in the United Kingdom and Mexico.