A Fortune 500 electric utility establishes a product management operating model and playbook.
Our client was seeking a strategic partner to establish a Product Management Center of Enablement. While undergoing their organizational transformation to a Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) operating model, the client needed a mature Product Management discipline. The organization contended with finding qualified Product Owners, limited sharing and/or creation of best practices, as well as a lack of practice community.
Improved maturity with product management operating model
We partnered with our client to establish a Product Management Center of Excellence which included evaluating their Agile Product Management discipline, lifecycle, and team to make recommendations on designing an operating model and playbook. Responsibilities and contributions of our team included:
- Work with stakeholders on a strategy and plan that addresses gaps in the current state
- Assist in defining roles and responsibilities of Product Owner and Product Manager
- Create training materials in relation to Product Ownership and Product Management
- Provide senior Agile consultants that will help mentor and coach Product Owners and Product Managers
- Alignment with existing coaching group
- Development and nurturing of the Product Owner and Product Manager Communities of Practice
- Onboard new Product Owners
Our team successfully assessed our client’s existing processes and needs through stakeholder surveys and interviews. We delivered a Product Management Playbook, reusable artifacts, job aides and assisted with standardizing practices across Product Management roles. Our Product Management Playbook is an operating model that includes specific policies and procedures. We are helping to design training curriculum, facilitate workshops and perform ad-hoc coaching and guidance to train Product Managers and Product Owners.